Is everybody crazy out here in India? Every day I browse through Internet, I find new daily deal website cropping up. The same concept, the same UI and almost same deals. Idea is attractive though ground reality is each of them is NOT going to survive. Initially when I thought of writing about daily deal sites in India, I imagined such site count could be around 10 but after thorough study, count smoothly reaches to
27 30+. Anyway let me brief about what is so happening in this deal-a-day concept. It all started with GroupOn in USA. GroupOn was launched in November, 2008 and today its valuation is close to $15-20 billion. [source] Such a fast-paced growth was a truly compelling and numerous Groupon replica forked out across the globe.
I have categorized these deal-a-day sites into four categories. I have considered various parameters like traffic, media coverage, Alexa rank and other statistics while evaluating them.
UPDATE as on 29th August, 2012
See, I told you.. Just don’t copy-paste the stuff blindly. It doesn’t work that way! The result is in front of us. Out of 31 Deal-A-Day start-ups,
–> 18 are dead. See the ‘strikethrough’ listings.
–> 5 could be dead anytime unless the business model is changed. And the list is BuyThePrice.com, LootMore.com, DealDrums.com, AajKaCatch.com, GainDaily.com
–> 3 have changed business model drastically. They are snapdeal.com, dealsandyou.com and koovs.com.
Serving Amazingly Well
1. Snapdeal: Well executed startup with 4 million registered users and around 30000 transactions a day is doing best in this segment. It has raised $12 million in its series B round of funding. It has around 400+ employees and head-count is increasing day by day. [source] However, SnapDeal has changed business model drastically. It more looks like an E-commerce store rather than typical ‘Deal-A-Day’ website.
2. Sosasta: It got renamed to crazeal.com. Finally GroupOn made entry in Indian market with this venture. It has grabbed much attention of public and media too.
3. Taggle: It was well executed and doing good but still didn’t survive. Seems it had lost its way in the tough price war with other players and now it is shut down due to non profitable model.
4. Mydala: It has around a million registered user and has raised Rs 10 crore. [source] Don’t you think ‘.COM’ bubble is shaping up in India?
5. DealsAndYou: It is more focused on products rather than services. Quite popular.
6. Times Deal: See who is in the game, Times Group!
7. Rediff Deal: One more Internet giant Rediff could not resist to get plunge into this game.
8. Koovs: Stopped deal-a-day operations. Now, it is fashion store for women. It sales clothing, lingerie, shoes, bags, accessories etc.
9. Dealivore: No more!
10. Buzzintown Deals: It was part of well known portal BuzzInTown and had good offerings. Still it vanished!
11. Bindaas Bargain: Traffic was good. Had impressive Facebook fan base. Dead now!
12. Buy The Price:
13. GrOffer: Specialized in Real estate deals. It is all set to raise 2-3 crores from angel investors. [source]
14. Vamoose: It was specialized in travel deals introduced by Travel Mart India. But didn’t work!
15. Scoopstr: The End.
16. Dealsface: The popular portal Mouthshut had joined deal-a-day band wagon too. But it couldn’t ensure success. Gone in a flash.
17. LootMore: It offers more like toys and gadgets. Bit low traffic. According to me, it will not survive long with existing business model.
18. Deal Yantra: Introduced by IndyaRocks group. Now, ’503 Service Unavailable’ is its destiny. Tragic!
19. Aaj Ka Catch: Hope it doesn’t become Kal-ka-catch! Kidding!
20. Coupon2Buy: Busted! Your Favicon logo is ‘G’. You cant copy Groupon so blindly. Are you listening administrator of Coupon2Buy? Seems admin took things seriously; they closed the operations.
21. GroopOffers: 503 Service Unavailable
22. City Offers: No more deals.
23. Voucher Wow: Dead!
24. Grako: According to the current message on the website, they have SOLD this venture. Sold for what? Peanuts? Never mind! Again, I appreciate the entrepreneur spirit of people behind these start-ups.
25. Deal Drums: Focused more on Hyderabad.
26. Group Bachat: Error: Not Found
27. Fandoo Deals: Right now, I could see ‘Under Construction’ banner!! But it seems wrong. ‘Out of business’ would have been more suitable.
28. Solid In Sixty: Perished, not solid at all!
29. GainDaily: Too low traffic. Need to see how long they can sustain.
Serving From Grave!
30. MobStreet: Unfortunately it was closed and taken over by GrOffer. Don’t know what value it might have added in GrOffer, may be list of Don’ts!
31. Fish The Deal: Finished. Site is down. Last activity on Facebook page I could see is on March, 2011. May this fish’s soul rest in peace!
Do I have missed any deal-a-day site still? If yes, please mark your comment below.