The article, specific to Indian audience, who used to travel a lot in train. Usually I too need to travel frequently among Ahemedabad, Pune and Hyderabad. Many times it is unplanned journey, So I opt for tatkal booking. Initially, I felt like a challenge to grab ticket in Tatkal quota. Reason behind that, a huge number of people are trying to grab the fewer Tatkal quota tickets. Second, a very unpleasant reason, inefficiency of irctc.co.in. But with few trial and errors, I found out the most optimized way to book the Tatkal ticket.
It is really ironic that IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation) can’t bare such load and just collapse in front of you every day while booking for Tatkal, contrary to the fact that India is instrumental in developing most complex IT systems in the world. Please don’t blame heavy traffic for inefficiency of IRCTC because there are plenty of websites who bear even more traffic and do not fail. Before going further, I request all IRCTC victims to like IRCTC.co.in – The Worst Site Ever on Facebook. Make the Fan count so big that, IRCTC officials understand rage some day!
Updated on 25th April, 2012
There is a twist in this article. The easiest way of booking Tatkal ticket was about using Quick Book link in irctc.co.in, which was quite efficient but as it was being misused by agents, IRCTC has blocked that particular link from 10:00AM to 11:15AM in the morning. So to accommodate this change, I had to rewrite the article. So, as of now, we are left with conventional way only. But still there are ample amount of chances to optimize the conventional method too.
The Optimized Way Of Booking Tatkal Ticket:
Suppose I want to book the tatkal ticket from Ahemedabad to Pune, certainly I should follow the below steps,
- You can book Tatkal ticket at 10:00AM in one day before the train departs from the origin station. For example, if train departs from origin on second of the month, Tatkal booking for that train opens on first of the month. Before you start with booking, keep below details handy,
- From station code (‘ADI’ in our case) and To station code (‘PUNE’ in our case)
- Train details (E.g. Ahmedabad-Pune Duronto)
- ID card number (In Tatkal Quota Ticket, ID card for at least one passenger travelling must be entered.)
You might get a question that, why to have station codes? The answer is, though IRCTC starts giving you suggestion when you start typing stations names but it becomes damn slow at 10 AM. Same for the train details; one can not afford to waste a time for deciding the right train while booking Tatkal ticket. At 9:58AM, log into IRCTC.co.in and wait for the ‘Great Ticket Battle’ to begin.
- At 10:01AM, enter the station codes in ‘From’ and ‘To’ fields; select quota as ‘Tatkal’ and hit ‘Find Trains’ button. See the below image.
- Please don’t click the ’Find Trains’ button before 10:00AM otherwise you might end up with error below,
- Complete the rest steps, which are quite easy and they do not involve any rocket science. Please continue reading to have some out of the box tips.
- At least for tatkal booking, I strongly recommend to go for Firefox or Chrome. Say ‘NO’ to Internet Explorer.
- Recently I noticed that you can NOT do multiple sign-ins at given point of time. Even if you will try, you will get below error message,
- Consider yourself lucky, if you find below ‘Service Unavailable’ error message less than 4 times during whole process.
- Sometimes it gets more confusing. Even if your account gets debited, you may or may not reach the IRCTC confirmation screen. In such case, if you want to confirm whether tickets have been booked or not, either check booking history or reach IRCTC customer care here.
This method apparently increases your chances of grabbing Tatkal tickets. Sometimes even if it fails then… hmm.. blame your slower Internet connection. :P Let me know, if you face any difficulties or have suggestions! Moreover, if you are keen to know about ‘Whom to blame for irctc.co.in’, ‘Who developed irctc.co.in’, IRCTC statistics etc then continue reading one of my articles here!!